For today’s card, I’m sharing another birthday card idea because who doesn’t need a ton of birthday cards? I have to say this card was frustrating to make because it fought me every step of the way. However, now that it’s finished I really like how it turned out.
I really love Stampingbella images and find I have the best results when I heat emboss them and color them with watercolor markers. So, to start I stamped the Lily of the Valley image onto Bristol Smooth cardstock with Versa Fine Onyx Black ink and heat embossed it with Hero Arts Clear embossing powder.
Once the image was heat embossed I chose several Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers and started to color. It was during the coloring that fight number 1 took place. I selected several shades of pink Zig markers for the dress and as I colored it the more I HATED how it looked. The colors I selected were just too bright and didn’t look good. I gotta say the trash can was looking really good at this point.
Being frustrated with the coloring I decided to set the image aside (sometimes if I do this and later come back I like the image) and work on the background panel instead – enter fight number 2. I thought the Simon Says Stamp Modern Rose Blooms background stamp went beautifully with this image so I wanted to use it for my bottom panel. Sadly, I didn’t use enough pressure when I stamped and the image was blotchy (my fault not the stamps) and when I stamped it a second time (I used my Misti stamping tool) the paper moved ruining the entire image! At this point, I was truly pulling my hair out. Side note, in case your wondering I used Victorian Velvet and Milled Lavender Distress Oxide inks for the background stamping.
Solutions to My Problems
Solution One: When I went back to the Lily of the Valley image I decided, yep, I HATE the coloring. This was so frustrating because it was really only the dress that looked horrible. After thinking about how to fix it (overnight) I came up with the idea to apply a thin layer of Nuvo Crystal Drops in Raspberry Pink over the entire dress. I love how this came out!
Solution Two: To fix the background panel from moving while stamping I adhered the panel to the bottom of Misti with temporary adhesive. Now I can stamp any background image several times without issue.
I created the frame for my focal panel out of MFT’s Kraft cardstock using the Lawn Fawn’s Stitched Rectangle Stackables and Hero Arts Nesting Rectangle dies. I adhered the background and focal panels flat to the cardbase. For the sentiment, I used Avery Elle’s Loads of Wishes stamp set and popped it up with foam tape. I also have to admit it was during this process that fights 3 & 4 happened since nothing would adhere straight and I almost ripped my focal panel twice fixing it!
To finish the card front, I stamped three heart from the Loads of Wishes stamp set in Victorian Velvet Distress Oxide ink. Lastly, I added Nuvo Vintage Drops in Dusty Rose throughout the panel. Side note, if you ever need a matching combo Dusty Rose and Victorian Velvet work perfectly together.
I hope you enjoyed the card!
Leave a Reply